Wip of Maya Natsume
(I'll scrap this later, and sorry for my lame language -___-)
Done in Photoshop CS3:
1. Pencil sketch re-drawn in Photoshop. Also I made basis for the floor: view->show->grid, than view->snap to->grid, quickly outline the squares (using mouse and shift button to make long lines) and after disabling the grid and snap, transform what you got in perspective using "free transform". Very fast and simple)
2. Crop, making basic colors and anatomy. Her body was the most difficult part, I have done many mistakes until finally understood what it needs to look like.
3. I realized that I went too deep in details of Maya's appearance and started to work on the background - made basic shapes of the monsters and panted a part of the floor.
Also there were two different variations of the sword, a lot of weird laces and other stuff that I deleted in the end (I grudge spending all that time on failed things T___T)
4. Returning to Maya's beautiful body)
Fixed her belly, fixed skin-color on some parts, added some tiny details on her outfit and painted the last variation of the scabbard's laces.
5. The most tiresome part - endless monsters in background. I tried about 10-20 diffrent texture brushes but most of them didn't help at all. It came out right only when I used small round brush with opacity and shape dynamics + few hours (I spent about 4-5, I think) + three grunge brushes in the end to add some right effect.
In the end, this monsters appeared to be my favorite part of this picture and of all backgrounds I ever made)
Then, another crop + blood added.
6. Final piece. I viewed the previous step online at my blog and asked some friends to point at the main mistakes. I couldn't change any basic things, but, thanks to the comments, I fixed a lot color(skin tone), shading(her legs, outfit and sword) and anatomy(belly and her left hand)...
...but it may be not so noticeable^__^
Add name at the bottom of the picture (as OhGreat did in some of his illustrations^^)) and, finally - it looks like finished)
Well, the whole painting process is definitely not the good way of drawing. There were too much mistakes from the beginning, most part of the drawing process I was just fixing and fixing them -_-
But I learned a lot from this picture) And nevermind the not-so-original idea and strange pose, this pic won the prize at the fanart contest, so I'm really happy that my hard work got the results.